One of my 30 Before 30 goals is to cook through an entire cookbook. I said that I was going to take pictures of each recipe and post an entry about all the recipes I’ve tried but so far that hasn’t happened. The pictures at least. I have tried a delicious handful of recipes from the chosen “cookbook” from BHG titled Skinny One-Dish and a few that were mediocre. So, even for the recipes I was unable to snap pictures of the cooking process I’m still going to share the recipe.
I adapted this one in several extremely yummy ways.
I am a sucker for a good risotto recipe and this one is no exception. It is so, SO good y’all. It used healthy brown rice instead of arborio rice and it would be a good option for a vegetarian or meat-free meals.
Spinach and Red Pepper Risotto
1 1/2 cups uncooked brown rice
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
2 cups packed fresh baby spinach
1/4 cup fresh snipped basil
1/4 cup chopped almonds
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- In a small saucepan bring the chicken broth to a gentle simmer and keep warm throughout cooking process.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add bell pepper to hot oil and cook for 2 minutes until softened. Add rice to pot with bell pepper and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Lower heat to medium-low.
- Add the white wine and the kosher salt. Stir and cook until liquid is absorbed.
- Over the next 20-30 minutes, add 1/2 cup warm broth at a time, stirring and cooking until each addition of broth has been absorbed.
- Once all the broth has been added, taste the rice to make sure it has the right amount of crunch to it. Adding more water or broth if necessary.
- Add spinach, basil, almonds, lemon zest, garlic and parmesan cheese stirring until the spinach is wilted and the cheese is combined.
Try it soon. You won’t regret it!